Feedback Draytek Vigor 2865 and Oeck VPN

Upvote score
Hi Folks,

I've been doing battle with getting Oeck VPN working on Draytek routers on and off for ages, never really been a problem for me though as I had other VPN service to fill in the gap and the app works great on the PC and Android devices.
Started holidays last week and getting this sorted was on my list of things to do, and now its done, yay :)

The issue I had was the config I downloaded from Oeck was being rejected by the Draytek modem for being too large, literally oversize.
Its a stupid thing, and one of the few things I dislike about the Draytek range, but they have stupid limits on things like character limits in username fields as well as password size limits.
Names of firewall objects can be max of 12 characters etc. Just silly things.

Anyways, after a bit of stuffing around I was able to get Oeck working on the DrayTek 2865 I have by removing a part of the config file to reduce its size. Once I did that the Draytek happily imported the cfg file and worked.
I removed the section starting with " X509v3 Extended Key Usage:" (starts a bit below half way down the page) and stopping before the "-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----" section allowed me to import the cfg to the Draytek without errors, and successfully connect.

Speed wasn't great initially but after a bit of experimentation I found the exporting a cfg file with Linux-Sydney-UDP AES-128-CBC settings worked the best for my device, giving me the same speeds as any of the other VPN service, topping out at approx. 85% of my connection speed.

I just thought I'd shared this info case anyone else hits the same hurdle as I did, I've also attached a copy of the cfg that works best on my Draytek as well as a screen grab of the Draytek Lan to Lan config page with the working settings displayed.

Cheers,
dooley

Attachments

Peter

Staff member
Upvote score
Hi @dooley,

Sorry for the late reply. It seems as though my alerts were switched off for some reason.

Thank you very much for posting that! I am sure there will be some users who will find that very helpful.

You have been using our service for a while now. How are you finding it?

Regards,
Peter @ Oeck.

Upvote score
You have been using our service for a while now. How are you finding it?
Since getting Oeck working on my Draytek, I am routing all of my devices (2 laptops, 1 desktop and my phone) at home through the Oeck VPN.
I forget that I am using Oeck, everything just works. I don't notice and speed degradation, there aren't any time outs, I don't have to disable it from time to time. It's a pleasant change.

How about you guys?
Is Oeck growing steadily and are You and Cameron handling the workload? I'd like to think that the behind the scenes activity is similar to the end user experience, in that everything is ticking along nice and smoothly.

Peter

Staff member
Upvote score
Since getting Oeck working on my Draytek, I am routing all of my devices (2 laptops, 1 desktop and my phone) at home through the Oeck VPN.
I forget that I am using Oeck, everything just works. I don't notice and speed degradation, there aren't any time outs, I don't have to disable it from time to time. It's a pleasant change.

How about you guys?
Is Oeck growing steadily and are You and Cameron handling the workload? I'd like to think that the behind the scenes activity is similar to the end user experience, in that everything is ticking along nice and smoothly.
Hi @dooley,

Really happy to hear that it is running well for you. How are we comparing to other VPN services you may use?

As far as on our end, things are okay. It would be nice for growth to be a bit faster, but since we are not advertising this is expected. It is a slow growth, but it seems steady enough. I think once our name starts getting out there it may pick up. Time will tell.

We did however set up a page on product review recently. If you have an account there, please feel free to post a review to it - https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/oeck

Regards,
Peter @ OECK.

Upvote score
Hi @dooley,

Really happy to hear that it is running well for you. How are we comparing to other VPN services you may use?
I have subscriptions with VPN.AC and Windscribe.
The Windscribe client is the more functional of the 2 services, it has some very nice little features like split routing based on IP or domain.
I think the VPN quality win compared between the 2 services would go to VPN.AC.

Oeck VPN service feels more snappy and responsive even compared to VPN.AC. Considering VPN/AC are one of the larger players you should be proud of of that.

I export the cfg file for Oeck and use it in the Windscribe client.
Split routing is very handy, accessing IP addresses on LANs is so much easier when I can just tell the VPN client to not include 192.168.xxx.0/24 in the VPN tunnel.

Now that I have Oeck running on my router, I strongly doubt I'll bother renewing the other services when they expire.

ps.
Product review done 👍

Peter

Staff member
Upvote score
Thanks @dooley! Very much appreciated :)

Really happy to hear that you like our service.

Regards,
Peter @ OECK.