Feedback Alpha feedback thread - not bug related.

Peter

Staff member
Upvote score
Hi everyone,

I thought this may be a good opportunity to get some feedback regarding our service that doesn't include bugs. What do you think of the service so far? Do you have certain examples of where our features may come in handy for your specific use?

Please remember, you can read about our features and how to use them at https://www.oeck.com/manual/

Regards,
Peter @ Oeck.

Peter

Staff member
Upvote score
Good to hear :)

At this point in time it is unlikely we will have an Australian Netflix region. Due to the way Netflix blocks, and the work and cost required for residential networks, Australia is extremely difficult and expensive to do. We want to do it, but we can't guarantee any release date for it unfortunately.

Regards,
Peter @ Oeck.

Upvote score
I like not having to disconnect Oeck when I want to play games.
A bonus for me is Perth is in the middle of Singapore and Sydney, often when I play Blizzard games, they decide where I go based on lowest latency but both sides have equal latency, my preference is to stay in Sydney which provides better community experience.

Peter

Staff member
Upvote score
Great! We will be releasing Sydney as a VPN region very soon :)

Regards,
Peter @ Oeck.

Upvote score
I only play Overwatch and WoW(when i'm not burned out)
Under the VPN its pretty stable.

Upvote score
latency under Sydney is equal to direct ISP connection, very happy!
i'll keep you informed if things change as people start hammering the server

Upvote score
tested Port Forwarding
theres a small bug with my router software(pending bugfix) that causes port forwards to fail

so i setup a webserver on port 80, then setup oeck port forward as the manual describes, was able to access it from outside my network.

magic!!!

Upvote score
DNS filtering works well too, blocked youtube for fun.
Adblocking works as expected for DNS blocking, I dont suppose your DNS wizardry has a solution to block youtube and google ads even if they're being served on the same domain?

Cameron

Staff member
Upvote score
Sorry- I don't think we'll be able to block Youtube ads anytime soon. The voodoo only goes so far.

Upvote score
Posted over on Whirlpool as well, but having good experience using the 'torrent' third party .opvn file on a Raspberry Pi 3 running the current Raspian Buster Lite. OpenVPN and Transmission are running in a Docker container, which gives kill switch functionality as Transmission is limited to the OpenVPN tunnel. Speed is great and torrent leak tests show an IP in NL.

Upvote score
The VPN seems pretty solid, nice!

Are you considering an option for the app to run on startup?

Is the manual going to discuss the app connection options for encryption and TCP/UDP, regarding when they need to be different than the default?

Peter

Staff member
Upvote score
Thanks!

At this point in time the primary focus is getting a bug-free version of the apps out. We want them to be shiny and have cool features, but the first thing they need to do in function as intended and not cause headaches for our customers. Once that step is complete, we will then focus on polishing and new features for the apps.

As far as the manual goes, yes, we will have something written up regarding certain settings. If you have time and would like to lend a hand with it, we won't say no :p

Regards,
Peter @ Oeck.

Last edited:
Upvote score
In Windows if the app is running and open in the desktop then pushed back by another app, you cannot bring it to the front by clicking on the tray icon, like you can with all other apps.

Also it would be nice if hovering over the icon would at least say Oeck or Oeck VPN so you get info on what the icon is.

Upvote score
Now that 7% of Australians have access to 1Gbps
Did a few speedtests under the Sydney server:
174/19 Mbps
Fastrack > Digital Pacific(Sydney)
Pretty decent for VPN

Upvote score
Yep, I probably wont stick with this speed though, its too expensive, $149 p/m

Upvote score
exactly 1Gbps, pulled a file off debrid @ 105MB/s running 24 threads, its insane!

i've been monitoring peoples speeds and what modems they have on whirlpool, very interesting, noone can achieve the full 1Gbps due to weak CPU's in their routers, the results get worse if they start turning on QoS. some of these people have top of the line ubiquiti gear too

Upvote score
Are you looking at adding additional service to Autochannels?
Examples, ITV HUb UK, All 4 UK, MY5 UK, TVNZ On Demand NZ, Three Now NZ, Lightbox NZ

Peter

Staff member
Upvote score
Hi gjsl,

Yes, once we have worked on the main issues and have stable apps, we will be spending time unblocking different channels. You can post your requests here regarding which channels you would like to be unblocked. Please create one thread per channel. Users can then upvote your requests so we know which to work on first.

Regards,
Peter @ Oeck.