Suggestion Binge TV

Upvote score
I suggest to add Binge TV app to auto. Whenever Oeck is on it is not possible to play any movies or shows and app returns an error 'media not available from your location'. App itself can be opened but media playback is not possible unless Oeck is turned off.

Peter

Staff member
Upvote score
Hi Amir,

We have added this to our list of automatic services. We should have it up and running within a couple of weeks with any luck.

Regards,
Peter @ Oeck.

Upvote score
Hi Amir,

We have added this to our list of automatic services. We should have it up and running within a couple of weeks with any luck.

Regards,
Peter @ Oeck.
Good to hear, I plan to watch Binge TV over the Christmas break using Oeck.

cheers,

Wayne

Peter

Staff member
Upvote score
Hi @Amir,

Can you please let us know which device you are having issues with? We are unable to get Binge to break regardless of what we do.

We did find that it comes up with a strange error on Ubuntu, regardless of if Oeck is on or not.

Regards,
Peter @ Oeck.

Upvote score
To add into the mix, I fired up my Nvidia Shield to see how it would perform with Binge TV (and US content Netflix and Amazon Prime Video). My Nvidia Shield is connected to my pfSense Qotom box via Ethernet with Oeck VPN active in the pfSense. Attempted to connect to Binge TV using the Nvidia Shield, and it worked perfectly first attempt! I must admit, I am chuffed with Oeck VPN as it presents no obstacle to my streaming needs, Oeck actually enhances my streaming needs as I no longer need to 'server hunt' in the USA to stream US content Netflix or Amazon Prime, and now added to my list, is Australian Binge TV.

Cameron

Staff member
Upvote score
Hi Wayne,

I remember you said that you have a US Amazon account, but do you need to connect to Seattle to get US content, or can you just connect to Sydney?
Is there a show that you use to tell if you are seeing US content?

Cameron.

Upvote score
Hi Cameron,
Quote:
"but do you need to connect to Seattle to get US content, or can you just connect to Sydney?
Is there a show that you use to tell if you are seeing US content?"

I connect only to the Oeck Sydney server and everything works fine. As for Amazon and US content, all I am aware of is that if Amazon Prime Video 'thinks' I am outside the US, it will not stream anything for me, nothing.

Thus, Oeck has resolved many of my streaming issues successfully.

Cheers,

Wayne

Peter

Staff member
Upvote score
Hi Cameron,
Quote:
"but do you need to connect to Seattle to get US content, or can you just connect to Sydney?
Is there a show that you use to tell if you are seeing US content?"

I connect only to the Oeck Sydney server and everything works fine. As for Amazon and US content, all I am aware of is that if Amazon Prime Video 'thinks' I am outside the US, it will not stream anything for me, nothing.

Thus, Oeck has resolved many of my streaming issues successfully.

Cheers,

Wayne
Hi Wayne,

Sorry, I am not sure I understand what is happening. If Amazon even think you're outside the USA it won't stream anything - I get this part. But how are you watching Binge on the same device? Are you connecting to an Australian VPN node or a USA one?

Regards,
Peter @ Oeck.

Upvote score
Hi Wayne,

Sorry, I am not sure I understand what is happening. If Amazon even think you're outside the USA it won't stream anything - I get this part. But how are you watching Binge on the same device? Are you connecting to an Australian VPN node or a USA one?

Regards,
Peter @ Oeck.
Hi Peter.

I am connected to the Oeck Sydney server 24/7 utilising the pfSense Qotom box as the principal router connected via Ethernet to my NetComm modem (50/20 FTTN with ABB).

Binge TV.
I cannot view using a Ubuntu PC as Binge TV advised me they have not yet developed the system for Linux.

I can view Binge TV should I boot into Windows 10 (dual boot system or my other Windows 10 Weatherstation & Solar PV monitoring PC). I have a Nvidia Shield I tried out with all this a couple of days ago, the Nvidia Shield is connected to my pfSense Qotom box via Ethernet, the Nvidia Shield allows me to watch Binge TV, Netflix US content, Amazon Prime Video, they all work in the Shield, faultlessly.

For family viewing, I utilise my dual boot Ubuntu/Windows 10 desktop PC which is connected to my TV via HDMI and to the pfSense Qotom box via Ethernet, for streaming movies and series utilising Ubuntu principally as I prefer not to use Windows 10 for a number of reasons.

Cheers,

Wayne

Peter

Staff member
Upvote score
Hi @Wayne,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Binge TV, Netflix US content, Amazon Prime Video, they all work in the Shield, faultlessly.
This is the part I am not understanding. If you're connected to the Sydney region, I would expect BingeTV ( AU ) and Netflix ( US ) to work the way the are. The thing I am having a problem with is Amazon Prime Video. It should not be working - or at the very least it should only be showing you AU content. Are you able to confirm if it is playing AU content or US content?

If it is playing AU content, all is well. This makes sense. The thing I am worried about is if it is playing US content. It should not be doing so due to us not having Amazon Prime Video on our autochannels. I would assume that the Sydney IP addresses are still showing up as US IP addresses to Amazon.

Regards,
Peter @ Oeck.

Upvote score
Hi @Wayne,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

This is the part I am not understanding. If you're connected to the Sydney region, I would expect BingeTV ( AU ) and Netflix ( US ) to work the way the are. The thing I am having a problem with is Amazon Prime Video. It should not be working - or at the very least it should only be showing you AU content. Are you able to confirm if it is playing AU content or US content?

If it is playing AU content, all is well. This makes sense. The thing I am worried about is if it is playing US content. It should not be doing so due to us not having Amazon Prime Video on our autochannels. I would assume that the Sydney IP addresses are still showing up as US IP addresses to Amazon.

Regards,
Peter @ Oeck.

Hi Peter,

I just ran a number of tests and you are correct, for me, Amazon Prime Video is Australian content, not US content.

Cheers,

Wayne

Peter

Staff member
Upvote score
Hi Peter,

I just ran a number of tests and you are correct, for me, Amazon Prime Video is Australian content, not US content.

Cheers,

Wayne
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for that! At least we know what is happening with it :)

Regards,
Peter @ Oeck.

Upvote score
Trying to get Oeck working on an Nvidia shield using the OpenVPN app.
Connected fine, but netflix is blocking any US content, it will play AU content.
Any ideas?

Upvote score
Trying to get Oeck working on an Nvidia shield using the OpenVPN app.
Connected fine, but netflix is blocking any US content, it will play AU content.
Any ideas?
Would 'sideloading' the Oeck app sort this?

Cameron

Staff member
Upvote score
I've not used the nvidia, but from what I've seen so far, the Netflix app for tv devices likes to go directly to 8.8.8.8.
That gets around the Oeck DNS.
Oeck needs it's DNS to point netflix.com to our own proxy.

As far as I know, the best way to use a Shield is through a router with VPN. Merlin on Asus seems to be the most popular way to do it. That way you can either block 8.8.8.8, or even better - answer for it (Merlin can do this).

Cameron.

Upvote score
Update: working via sideloaded on the nvidia shield using oeck android app.
Gave up trying to get it working on pfsense.

Upvote score
I can’t get Kayo Sports (which is the same company/technology as Binge) working on iOS either via the app or Safari whilst connected to Oeck Australia.
Any suggestions?